Travel Gadgets I Carry on the RoadJanuary 6, 2023
Now that we’ve all started traveling a lot more, figured it’d be a good opportunity to do a roundup of the travel gadgets I have on me at all times. I am breaking this post into a few different sections so the gadgets and categorized based on my use-cases.
I never leave the house without these 2 gadgets:
- AirPods Pro – can’t step out without these; I use a leather AirPods Pro keychain holder, so I am never without my AirPods
- My iPhone – currently sporting the Product Red iPhone 14
Laptop charging when on the road:
My work laptop is a Surface Pro 7 which can be charged using the USB-C port. I don’t carry a Surface Pro charger with me and always use the USB-C charger; one less charger to deal with.
- Microsoft Modern Mobile Mouse
- RAVPower flat 45W charger USB-C charger
- 10ft USB-C cable with 90 deg connector
- Travel power strip – super helpful in conference rooms and hotel rooms with poorly placed power plugs
- HP travel dock – this has been awesome to connect the work laptop to project (HDMI and VGA – yes, I’ve had to do that often)
iPhone and Apple Watch charging in the hotel:
- Anker flat 30W Lightning Charger – this is what I connect the MagSafe Duo charger to
- MagSafe Duo Charger – it’s not the ideal 3-in-1 charger but does the job
- Apple USB-C to lightning 2m cable – when the plug point is very far from the center of the hotel bed
When I am on the plane itself:
I don’t use my AirPods Pros while I am on a flight because I need these fully charged after the flight. When sitting in one place, the wired QC20 are good enough.
- Bose QuietComfort 20 – these made my coast-to-coast flight so much more tolerable
- Anker Powerline 3-in-1 cable – this 1 wire is my Swiss-army knife
- Anker MagSafe Charger – battery pack for the road with USB-C wired charging option
- Basic Kindle – because I also want to feel sophisticated and educated (the Anker Powerline charges it when I decide to read on my Kindle in-between boring movies and inability to sleep)
- Foldable and small USB charger – to charge the iPhone using the seat power outlet using the Anker Powerline (similar product to the one I have: Anker 12W Wall charger)
- Lightning audio jack – if I want to listen to songs on the iPhone using the QC20
Miscellaneous gadgets that are in my bag all the time:
- MagSafe iPhone kickstand
- iPhone laptop mount-clip
- Car USB charger – just in case
- Anker USB Card reader – when I am traveling with the Insta360 One X2 or the Mavic Mini drone
- Micro-SD cards – see #5
- My gaming laptop ASUS G14 and its monstrosity of a charger – mostly with me on my personal trips
The cable organizer bag to hold most of these wires:
I needed something very slim so that my laptop bag does not bloat. I really like the Bagsmart cable organizer I got from Amazon.
Spare cables in the bag:
When traveling with my wife, I have learned that having a few extra cables isn’t a bad idea:
- Apple USB-C to lightning 1m cable
- Small micro-USB cable (specifically to charge the Bose QC when the Anker Powerline 3-in-1 is charging the iPhone)
- Standard Apple Watch charger
- Standard Apple USB – lightning charger
PS: I will do a follow-up post on what are the bare-minimum gadgets I got my wife for her work from the road life. It is a subset of this list.